Print

Carbon Monoxide

Posted in Articles of Interest

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that can be emitted from any standard fossil fuel burning appliance or heating source. There are thousands of diagnosed CO poisonings each year in North America, and hundreds of fatalities. For a minimal investment of time and money you can take the appropriate steps to protect your family from this silent killer.
Due to the fact that you can’t sense CO it can poison you slowly, or under extreme conditions, kill you within a matter of minutes. Carbon Monoxide is attracted to the hemoglobin in your bloodstream; when inhaled it bonds to the hemoglobin displacing the oxygen that your body needs to survive. It will suffocate you from the inside out, and can cause brain damage or death.

Long term exposure to low levels of CO often causes flu like symptoms-headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, disorientation and fatigue. Children, infants and unborn babies are the most vulnerable to CO poisoning, for they have a higher metabolic rate-meaning they require more oxygen and use it much quicker. If exposed, CO can lead to learning disabilities, memory loss and personality changes in children, and miscarriages for exposed pregnant woman.

For a small investment, you can help prevent the potential disastrous effects of CO poisoning by installing at least one Carbon Monoxide detector in every floor of your home. They are inexpensive, easy to install, require very little maintenance, and are now mandatory in all residences with fuel burning appliances in the City of Toronto (GTA). When choosing a CO detector weigh all your options, such as plug-in or battery powered, how sensitive is the unit, does it detect low levels. There are many CO detectors to choose from, but only a few are first class units.

If your Carbon Monoxide detector should go into alarm, leave the house immediately and call for emergency help. Do not go back inside until the fire department tells you it is safe. Allow them to help you find the source and determine how to repair the problem as soon as possible.

Do not take a chance with Carbon Monoxide. This gas is undetectable to your senses and it can be fatal. Abiding by the Cities bylaw can save your life and the lives of your family. For more information regarding Carbon Monoxide detectors please call us at HOMEWORKS at (416) 691-9900, so we may guide you to the best way to protect against this silent killer.