Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that can be emitted from any standard fossil fuel burning appliance or heating source. There are thousands of diagnosed CO poisonings each year in North America, and hundreds of fatalities. For a minimal investment of time and money you can take the appropriate steps to protect your family from this silent killer.
Due to the fact that you can’t sense CO it can poison you slowly, or under extreme conditions, kill you within a matter of minutes. Carbon Monoxide is attracted to the hemoglobin in your bloodstream; when inhaled it bonds to the hemoglobin displacing the oxygen that your body needs to survive. It will suffocate you from the inside out, and can cause brain damage or death.
For many years owners of homes, and/or potential home owners have had difficulty in obtaining insurance for homes that contain knob and tube wiring. Most insurance companies will not insure these homes, and those who do will usually attach a premium ranging from a 25% to 100% or more increase.
One of the most common concerns people have when purchasing a home is the matter of moisture in the basement. In fact, most homes have some form of dampness in their basements. Generally, the older the home the greater the amount of dampness present. Often, this dampness is caused by too much water collected in the soil surrounding the foundation walls of the home, and can frequently be rectified at a cost relatively low to the homeowner. The remaining incidences can usually be attributed to underground streams, high water tables and/or underground rivers, and must be controlled by a sump pump to prevent the water from seeping in.